Saturday 31 December 2011

Brésilienne


This is the first time I've tried to test the recipe from the book 素材より素材らしく杉野英実の菓子 (Le Goût Authentique Retrouvé by Hidemi Sugino) my friend bought it for me from Japan in September.
I've tried to make Pomme d'Eve but the recipe wasn't his, I might give it a try sometimes. 
Evan from Evan's Kitchen Ramblings has tried many desserts, all of them look gorgeous.

The recipe I chose to give a closure to 2011 was Brésilienne.
A truly elegant dessert consists of coffee mousse, caramel mousse & coffee joconde biscuit.
I have to say I didn't do a perfect job to make the entremets look like the photos from the book.
I didn't have the right mousse rings & I did make a mess with the first cake when I spread the glazing on top.
So, I gave up with the glazing part...


I think the taste is the most important.
First of all, this cake is definitely not for people with a sweet tooth, if you're coffee lover, you'll fall in love with it.
When eating the coffee mousse alone, it's quite bitter.
But the sweetness is enhanced by the caramel mousse & the coffee joconde.
I personally think the Cognac syrup for the joconde is a must as it adds a sophisticated note to the cake.


 Thank you for joining me in my journey of baking this year.
Wishing you all the best the coming year.

Recipe (make five 3" x 3" or ten 1.5" x 3" entremets):
from Le Goût Authentique Retrouvé by Hidemi Sugino
Sirop à 30°B / Simple syrup
130 g sugar
100 g water

In a saucepan, bring the sugar & water to boil.
When all sugar crystals have dissolved, pour into a sterile jar & let cool.
Keep the extra in the refrigerator after use.
Biscuit joconde sans beurre au café (9" square)
25 g ground almond
25 g icing sugar
20 g egg yolks
15 g egg whites
2 g instant coffee (mix with 1 tsp of hot water)
23 g plain flour

Meringue
50 g egg whites
30 g caster sugar

Combine icing sugar & ground almonds in a bowl.
Add in egg yolks & egg whites, whisk until thick & fluffy.
Fold in flour.
To make the meringue, whisk egg whites & caster sugar together until stiff peaks then fold into the yolk mixture.
Fold in coffee.
Spread a thin layer of mixture on the baking tray lined with baking paper with spatula.
Bake in a preheated oven at 230C for 6-7 mins until golden.
Sirop d'imbibage
30 g sirop à 30°B
1 tbsp Cognac
1 tbsp water

Mix all ingredients & set aside.
Mousse au café
135 g whipping cream, whipped up
2 g sheet gelatine, bloom in cold water
12.5 g Cognac

Crème anglaise au café
60 g milk
10 g instant coffee
30 g egg yolks
20 g caster sugar
To make crème anglaise au café, whisk egg yolks & sugar in a saucepan, bring milk & coffee to boil in another saucepan then slowly whisk it into the yolk mixture.
Whisk the yolk mixture while heating over low heat until 82-85C.
Remove from heating & stir in the gelatine.
After cooling, mix in the Cognac.
Fold in the whipped cream.
Mousse au caramel
Crème caramel
75 g whipping cream
1/10 vanilla pod, split & seeded
43 g granulated sugar
25 g glucose
Pâte à bombe
30 g egg yolks
25 g sirop à 30°B
135 g whipping cream, whipped up
4 g sheet gelatine, bloom in cold water
1 tsp Cognac

To make crème caramel, warm whipping cream & vanilla.
In a saucepan, combine sugar & glucose, heat over low heat & caramelise, carefully stir in vanilla cream, then stir in Cognac.
Sift through to remove vanilla pod then stir in gelatine.
To make pâte à bombe, bring the syrup to boil then add slowly to egg yolks with stirring.
Fold pâte à bombe into creme caramel, fold in whipped cream.
Decoration
Coffee extract
Nappage (or apricot glaze)

Assembling
Cut the joconde into 3" square & place at the bottom of the mousse ring, Soak with syrup then pipe in the coffee mousse until half the height of the mousse ring.
Place another joconde on top & soak with syrup.
Pipe in the caramel mousse, freeze until firm.
Brush with coffee extract & cover the top with nappage/apricot glaze.
Remove from the rings & serve.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting! I've registered & just submit this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year! and that looks amazing! i was contemplating for so long to make this but like u i didnt have the right mold...lol. super tempted to make this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST GORGEOUS! Recently back from a trip to Japan and smitten about their beautiful desserts. I would LOVE this, a true coffee lovers delight. You have made some stunning stuff through the year...WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog you have! I love the photos and the illustrations. And Hidemi Sugino is one of my favorites (still trying to find his book!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. You all have wonderful food blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image of perfection. Wow that looks fantastic. A great, neat close for the year :) - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yue,

    You have so many great pastries on your blog. Do you mind if I feature some of them on my food gallery site http://www.zencancook.com/zenspotting/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zen,

    I'm delighted to be featured on zenspotting. I've just registered the site. It's a lovely site for food lovers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you. :) I'm submitting this one and feel free to submit yourself in the future. Would love to have you there.

      Delete
  9. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    flat shoes for women

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. I found your website by means of Google at the same time as looking for a comparable subject, your web site got here up. It appears great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then.
    candy jar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful article! This is the type of info that are meant to be shared across the internet. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you:)
    I'm looking to a flavour to use instead of cognac for non alcoholic customer.. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails