Saturday 5 April 2014

Just to say hi.... with a recipe


 Hello readers.

I’ve been away from baking & blogging for a while as I’m writing up my thesis for my Ph.D.
I'm not even halfway yet with my writing…
Writing up is such a long & boring process, sometimes I wish someone can write it up for me, which is totally impossible...
To break it from my boring writing, I thought I should update the blog & let you know that I haven’t abandoned this site.
Just that I can only focus at my thesis, it’s probably one of the most important piece of writing in my life.
I hope next time when I blog, I would already submit my thesis :)

Also a quick update of the recipe, I baked this for my niece’s 1st birthday in early February.
It’s gorgeous yet simple & easy to bake.


Recipe
adapted from here (chinese)

Cake base
45 g plain flour
20 g corn flour

Mix & sift.

15 g unsalted butter
30 g milk

Mix & melt over a pan of simmering water.

4 egg yolks (L)
10 g caster sugar
15 g honey
20 g yuzu marmalade

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients.
Whisk over a pan of simmering water until thickened & pale.
Gently fold in the flours in 2 portions.

6 egg whites (L)
60 g caster sugar
pinch of salt

In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with salt & sugar (added in 3 portions) to soft peaks.
Gently fold in the egg yolk batter in 2 portions.
Take a spatula & fold with butter milk, gently fold in the remaining.
Spread on the prepared tin & bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 15 min.
Remove from the oven, carefully remove the paper on the sides of the cakes & leave to cool.

Filling
100 g whipping cream
20 g caster sugar
1 tbsp yuzu marmalade (optional)
Fresh strawberries

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the whipping cream with sugar & marmalade until stiff.

Assembling
Once the cake is cool, place a piece of baking paper on top & turn the cake upside down, remove the baking paper that stuck on the cake.
Spread the whipped cream evenly, leaving a small gap around the edges.
Place the strawberries along one edge, roll the cake to cover the strawberries.
Decorate as you like or simply cut & serve.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Yue Cheong. I'm a silent reader (and my name is Yue too!) and I want to say that you have a really great blog and I love all the great recipes (I have not tried any yet though lol =D ) and entremets and photos! Looking at them and reading the ingredients makes me drool! I know how it feels to write a thesis and it can be very boring and frustrating. But I'm sure you'll pull through. You said you're attending a science conference. If you don't mind what is your field? I'd studied science too (biology), and got myself into baking but of course not professionally like you. I'm far far far behind but I do appreciate great desserts and pastries and breads! I wish you all the best and see you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Thanks for visiting my blog and the good words.
      I did chemistry in uni. My PhD is about bioimaging so it's kind of include everything.. chemistry and biology.
      I'm not really professional in baking but my sister is. I just take it as a hobby really. You should try it out yourself, it wouldn't be any harder than any experiment you would do in science..

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails